The junior year Christian Service requirement is 60 hours of direct service with people who are materially poor and/or marginalized in some way. This can be completed on an immersion trip the summer before junior year, or through 60 hours of local service.
The goal of the program is to push students to understand their service work as a response to their faith, and lead them to question injustice by creating relationships with people who are poor and marginalized. As Peter Hans Kolvenbach, S.J. said, “When the heart is touched by direct experience, the mind may be challenged to change. Personal involvement with innocent suffering, with the injustice others suffer, is the catalyst for solidarity which then gives rise to intellectual inquiry and moral reflection.”
There are some important guidelines for the 60 hours to ensure that students have an experience that allows them to create relationships and question the systems of injustice that oppress and marginalize members of society:
- Juniors must complete 60 hours of direct service to the poor and marginalized. Service can be completed between May 12, 2018 (or after all sophomore service hours are complete, if later), and March 13, 2019 (the first day of MP4). A reflection project must also be completed in order for Christian Service to be complete.
- Service cannot be overseen or coordinated by a family member or completed at a home parish – we want students to step outside the “bubble” of their everyday lives.
- All service sites must be approved by Mr. Dougherty. All sites found on this list are pre-approved. Any service done at an agency not approved will not be counted toward the 60 hour requirement.
- All juniors must complete a reflection project as a mandatory part of the requirement. Details about the project can be found at www.spprep.org/reflection.
- If you have a question not covered by these guidelines, please visit our Junior Service FAQs page.
- The Learning Agreement for Local Service
- The Class of 2021 must complete, sign, and submit this form by April 9, 2019.
- Service Hour Verification Form
- As you complete your service hours, you must verify them on this form. DO NOT LOSE THIS FORM! If you do, you will lose any record of your hours completed. As soon as you reach 60 hours, you can submit the completed form(s) in the Office of Campus Ministry.
Contact Mr. Dougherty, Director of Campus Ministry at DoughertyJ@spprep.org or 201-547-6486 with any questions or concerns.